The tourist’s first-aid kit: a list of medicines for a sea vacation
Vacation – it’s a long-awaited time, which can only be overshadowed by illness. Especially tourists who go on vacation in a different climate often get sick. This article will tell you what medications to take to the sea and what to take on other trips.
When a person lives all his life in one climate zone, the body gets used to indicators such as humidity, temperature, pressure, solar radiation. Even the air is important – the content of trace elements in it, as well as its gusts. It is difficult to adapt not only to the maritime climate, but also to the conditions of the cold, as well as the highlands. Particularly affected kids under the age of three, a little less significant deterioration in the health of adolescents. But even adults may be deteriorating in the first two or three days of travel.
The reasons for this phenomenon are as follows:
- pressure drop – dizziness and nausea, weakness may appear;
- change of temperature – often the body temperature increases by 1-2 degrees;
- High air humidity – may cause a wet cough;
- strong wind – may cause otitis media.
- children, especially those under three years of age;
- adolescents during hormonal reformations;
- people with cardiovascular and respiratory system disorders;
- those who have diseases of the musculoskeletal system, as well as venous problems;
- Menopausal women from 45 years of age;
- elderly people;
- travelers with a weak immune system or who have recently had an illness.
To easily tolerate acclimatization should:
- Prepare yourself in advance and strengthen your immune system.
- The first 2-3 days spend in a quiet environment, less time in the sun, spend more time in the room.
- Eat familiar foods so that you do not have an upset stomach.
- Take symptomatic medications, which you need to take with you on vacation.
Preparing for a Trip – Strengthen Your Health
The main assistant to any disease is the immune system. In order not to let it down during the vacation, you need to take care of it in advance. Before the trip you should take a course of immunomodulator “Citovir-3”. He is absolutely safe, dispensed without a prescription. Its active ingredients stimulate the production of natural interferon and maintain it at a high level for a long time.
There are several forms of release:
- Capsules. Convenient pills for oral administration to children over 6 years of age and adults.
- Syrup. It is designed for one-year-old babies. It contains the same ingredients, but in different proportions, and sucrose.
- Powder to dilute the suspension. Also designed for a child of 1 year and older. It has three flavors: orange, cranberry and strawberry.
The drug is suitable for both prevention and treatment of colds as an aid.
First aid kit on the way to the sea – a list of medicines for vacation
All medicines can be divided into groups. Some will be needed to relieve symptoms, others – for bruises and cuts, others – to cure the disease.
- An antipyretic.
- Enzymes for bowel function.
- For diarrhea.
- Drugs for sore throat.
- Cough medicine (dry or wet).
- Nasal decongestant drops.
- Acting on the cause of the illness:
- Ear drops for otitis media.
- Eye drops.
For a variety of injuries:
- Remedies for sunburn and afterwards.
- Insect bite remedies.
- Bandages, absorbent cotton, plasters.
- Antimicrobial – iodine, zelenka, manganese.
When we have brought a general list of medicines from the first aid kit for a trip to the sea, you can talk more about each category.
They are also antipyretics. Select them on the road with the age of tourists. It is better to take two drugs – for children and adults. Here experience suggests what drug is best for you and your child. Necessary tools – all familiar “Paracetamol” and “Analgin. The first relieves fever, and the second also helps relieve pain and inflammation. Also among the popular drugs are “Ibuklin” (there is a children’s version), “Voltaren”, “Panadol”.
It is better to take single-component drugs, which have one main ingredient. You should take it only if the temperature is higher than 38 – 38.5 degrees. Up to that point, the body fights on its own. It is also worth putting a thermometer in the kit.
Various powders for colds and flu also contain paracetamol and other excipients. It is recommended to dissolve them in water and drink them at the first signs of illness.
Required for wounds and severe bruises, for severe pain in the head or abdomen, and during the critical days in women. Analgesics can come in many forms: antispasmodics, anti-migraine drugs, pyrazolones, strong narcotic medications, and more. If you do not have any special conditions for which the doctor recommended the medicine, you can be limited to the standard list:
These are all “pure” analgesics, which have one substance in their composition. Of the combined ones, you can advise – “Pentalgin”, “Caffetine”. From migraine will save you – “Sumatriptipan”, “Zolmitriptipan”, “Eletripan”. A series of NSAIDs will stop even severe pain – “Ibuprofen”, “Aspirin”, “Ketanov”.
List of narcotic painkillers we will not give here, since they are prescribed by a doctor and sold on prescription. On vacation they may be needed only in case of accidents – fractures, falls. They will be prescribed at the hospital.
Everything for the gastrointestinal tract.
In the travel kit should be a list of medicines for the gastrointestinal tract. Because of changes in the diet, as well as due to acclimatization, children and adults often experience diarrhea, vomiting, as well as simply indigestion, bloating. Consider what medications you can take:
- For motion sickness (if you are on a sea walk or in transport on the way to the sea) you can take Vertichogel, Dramina, Aeron. These are all pills that are recommended to take for prevention, and you can also take them at the first symptoms.
- When food poisoning from vomiting, rehydration medications will help – “Glucosolan”, “Regidron”, “Oralit”. This is a powder for preparing a suspension. Such a solution helps to normalize the water-salt balance. After this, it is necessary to give absorbents. These are drugs that bind all toxins and remove them from the body naturally. These are the following drugs: white or black activated charcoal, “Polisorb”, “Enterosgel”. If such measures do not help, it is better to consult a doctor. He may prescribe: “Motilac”, “Zofran”.
- Digestive enzymes. They help the natural process of digestion if the menu included difficult to break down or incompatible, unfamiliar to the intestines. It should be taken after or before a big feast. If you plan to drink alcohol, especially beer or wine, which continue the fermentation process in the body, you can also take: “Festal”, “Pancreatin”, “Mezim”, “Creon”.
- Antidiarrheal medications are usually required along with rehydration solutions, since diarrhea washes out all the useful micronutrients from the gastrointestinal tract. The list of medications can include: “Smekta” and other sorbents; “Linex”, “Hilak forte” – probiotics; “Imodium” – excellent for travelers. You can also take “Phthalazole”, “Levomycetin” (with the addition of antibiotics for bacterial diarrhea), “Diara” – slows intestinal motility.
- Laxatives. Required in reverse situations, but for the same reasons – because of an unbalanced menu. Will help: microclysters “Microlax”, which are allowed to all, even small babies and pregnant women; “Senade” on plant components; “Duphalac”, “Linolax”, “Linex” – probiotics.
Travel kit for colds
Most often, children and adults at sea get sick with colds or flu. In such cases, you should take with you:
- Antiviral. Most drugs of this spectrum are based on interferon – a protein that is produced by a healthy person to protect the body. Simply put, it’s your immune system. The bulk of medications (Interferon, Viferon, Amixin, Anaferon, Kagocel) either supply a dose of this substance externally or help induce it naturally. But the drugs are constructed so that the level of protection has peaks and drops, which means that at a certain point, health is again at risk – until a second dose is taken. “Citovir-3, unlike the above drugs, stimulates constant production of interferon, without spikes or regressions. It is an immunomodulator that has antiviral components.
- Medicines based on natural components: “Hyporamine” – sea buckthorn extract; “Ocillococcinum” – duck liver enzymes; “Immunal” – echinacea.
- Anti-influenza drugs. It is better to choose those that have a wide range of action: “Amantadine”, “Rimantadine”, “Tamiflu”.
- Mouth lozenges for sore throat. They come in herbal components, as well as with the addition of antiseptics, anesthetics and antibiotics. The most effective ones disinfect, relieve soreness and kill bacteria: Hexoral Tabs, Grammidin Neo, Decatylene, Anti-Angin, Strepsils Plus, Tantum Verde, Neo-Angin.
- Laryngeal sprays also contain the above ingredients. Will help with inflammation: “Teraflu Lar”, “Strepsils Plus”, “Septolete Plus”, “Tantum verde”.
- Cough pills. They fall into two categories: moisturizing and expectorant. The first help with dry coughing, the second – when there is phlegm. Popular mucolytics: “Ambroxol”, “ACC”, “Bromhexin”, “Carboxitine”. To relieve spasm, “Sinecod”, “Omnitus” are suitable.
- Syrups. They have the same purpose, but they are easier to take, they have an enveloping effect on the larynx, so they save from irritation and inflammation. You can take: “Gedelix” or “Prospan” for babies under one year of age. For children a little older will do: “Gerbion”, “Ambrobene”. For adults, “Pertussin”, “Broncholitin”.
- Immunomodulator “Citovir-3. It can be taken both for prevention, and at the first signs of the flu or cold.
- Vasoconstrictor and soothing nasal sprays and drops. Here you need to focus on the problems you have more often, because there are many varieties. A remedy with antibiotics is Isofra. Will help with serious stuffiness or maxillary sinusitis. “Nasivin” – recommended for a runny nose. “Vibrocil” – for allergic reactions. “Naphtisin” and “Snoop” – make breathing easier. “Grippferon” – with an antiviral effect, for kids.
The antipyretics and painkillers that we described above will also be useful for colds.
Inflammatory processes of the eyes or ears
If the child or adult bathes a lot in the sea or dives, or if there is a strong wind, otitis media may develop. This may require ear drops and warm compresses. It is best to take combined remedies, which relieve and swelling, and pain, and the cause of inflammation. Such can include:
They all contain antibiotics (1 or 2 of each kind), anesthetics to “freeze” the pain. Some include antifungal substances, as well as components with anti-edema and anti-inflammatory action.
For eye inflammation, the following will help:
If conjunctivitis has developed, it is worth choosing remedies with antibiotics:
Means for being in the sun
We will not give a list of such creams and sprays, as they are available for sale and in pharmacies, and in stores with cosmetics and household chemicals. When choosing should adhere to the following recommendations:
- Take two bottles with different sunscreen – for the body and for the face.
- For children, you should choose creams labeled “children’s,” they do not contain fragrances.
- It should contain ingredients that soften the skin.
- There are also remedies after tanning, they reduce inflammation, soothe the skin.
When sunburns will help you ointment “Bepanten” or its cheaper counterpart – “Panthenol.
What to put in the first aid kit, going on vacation?
We ask ourselves this question before any trip, and it is especially relevant in the summer – in hot weather, when the range of threats to travelers significantly expands. The lack of this or that medicine at the right moment can seriously spoil a long-awaited vacation. What should be in a traveler’s first-aid kit to have a good rest, Nadezhda Serzhputovskaya, the head of the therapeutic department of MEDSI Clinic on Leninsky Prospekt, will tell “Komsomolskaya Pravda” readers.
Summer in most Russian regions is short, so many people try to get away from town, at least for a while: someone – in the countryside with relatives, someone – on the Black Sea coast, someone – in a hot country. But do not forget that a change of climate and time zones, a long stay in the sun, the peculiarities of local cuisine – it is always a stress to the body, which who knows what it can turn out. You need to be prepared for that.
Properly assembled traveling first aid kit can help. But do not forget that for all drugs listed below, there are medical contraindications. Therefore, before you buy something and take something, read the instructions carefully, and better yet consult a doctor beforehand.
Self-medication can be life-threatening, so think in advance how to be in touch with the doctors during the holidays, especially if you go to rest with the children. Fortunately, thanks to telemedicine, you can now contact a competent doctor over the Internet.
Prepare not only your first aid kit, but also your smartphone for your trip. Along with maps of the area, download a special telemedicine application. For example, the new application SmartMed, which was developed by programmers from MTS, and the reception in it is conducted by doctors from the MEDSI network of clinics in the capital. That is, with the help of a smartphone and the Internet you can, from anywhere in the world, quickly consult with the right doctor, who will examine your problem comprehensively and quickly give recommendations in Russian.
So, what medications do you need to take with you on the road?
“Sea” disease – the so-called motion sickness – can ruin your vacation from the very beginning. Flights, trips on trains, cars, water transport can be accompanied by a feeling of nausea, dizziness, and sometimes loss of consciousness. So stock up on drugs like Dramina, Aviamarin, Ciel-Teva, Bonin .
We, who live in a deficit of sunlight and heat for most of the year, during the vacations we want to enjoy the sun as much as possible. Not surprisingly, many people lie on the beach all day long, despite the “harmful” hours of sun exposure, medical warnings, age and skin type. As a result – sunburns of varying severity in children and adults. Soothe the skin, have a healing effect will help D Panthenol or Bepanten (spray, ointment).
Red skin after a long stay in the sun is not all the trouble. After overheating, heat stroke is possible, which often accompanies an increase in body temperature. Among antipyretic drugs, it is recommended to have on hand Paracetamol, Aspirin (Acetylsalicylic Acid), Ibuklin .
Ironically, many people often fall ill with ARVI, sore throat and other viral and infectious ENT diseases, while in hot countries at sea. How to treat in this case?
When swimming in the sea, water can get into the ears, which often leads to pain. Especially in young children. As an analgesic and anti-inflammatory agent, any of the following preparations will do: Otipax, Otirelax, Otenum, Dropleks.
The eyes also sometimes react painfully to bathing. This can result in redness, lacrimation, sometimes pus, a burning sensation and itching. Tobrex, Vitabact, Albucid, Gentamicin drops can help with these symptoms.
With a sore throat while traveling, it is easier to use tablets for resorption. Well help combination products with antiseptic and analgesic component – Grammidin with anesthetic, Traflu LAR, Strepsils Plus.
With a runny nose you can use the well-known drops with xylometazolin as the active ingredient – Tizin, Otrivin, Ximeline, Rinonorm, Afrin and others.
Allergies in any trip happens very often, whether it’s a reaction to unusual foods, unusual plants and their scents or insect bites. So it is mandatory to put in the travel kit antihistamines – Loratadine, Desloratadine, Cetirizine, Ketotifen.
Injuries and abrasions on vacation are common. This is especially true for the youngest travelers, who can get confused in unfamiliar surroundings. Every mother knows that in this case it is necessary to treat the affected area with an antiseptic solution, such as Chlorhexidine, Miramistine, hydrogen peroxide. It is also desirable to stock up on bandages and adhesive plaster . A great life-saving option is a modern self-locking bandage Peha Haft, which is easy to use, will provide long term fixation (can not creep), does not stick to skin and clothing, does not cause allergies.
With adult travelers, the situation is different. A sudden headache or backache can appear at any time and disrupt all plans. Therefore, in the first aid kit should lie one or another of these pills: Nurofen, Mig, Naiz, Ketorol, Pentalgin .
When people come to rest in a country with a hot climate, different water and unfamiliar food, they risk getting an upset stomach. And against the background of the acclimatization of the patient’s condition may worsen. It is therefore advisable to have: sorbents – Enterosgel, Polyphene; drugs for nausea and vomiting – Motilium, Motilac; drugs for discomfort in the stomach, bloating, heartburn – Smecta (also with diarrhea); drugs for diarrhea – Imodium (there is a convenient form of tablet resorption Imodium Express). Abdominal pain can knock out the intake of antispasmodic drugs – No-shpa, Duspatalin, Trimedat, Buscopan. With overeating, heaviness and bloating of the stomach is recommended enzyme preparations – Mezim, Creon, Hermital, Panzinorm.
Particular attention should be given to people with chronic diseases, planning a trip: do not forget to take drugs that you take every day (for pressure, heart and vascular disease, lung disease, endocrine disorders), make sure they are sufficient.
What do you need to do, going on vacation with a child abroad?