The best islands and hotels in Maldives.
Full of relaxation and a fantastic underwater world. The Maldives is waiting for you no matter what. The world can be as much excitement as you want, here is still a corner of silence, tranquility and respectability. Luxury hotels the size of an island and villas in the middle of the ocean – the main thing is not to get confused in this variety of foreign names, which sound like the spell of a shaman. Choosing an atoll is not difficult, deciding on a hotel is even easier, all of them – the limit of tourist dreams. And to make a choice instantly will help guide you to the best islands and hotels in the Maldives.
The best atolls in the Maldives
Just 700km from India and you’re in the Maldives. If you think that it is a single faceless monolith of premium level, you are deeply mistaken. The Maldives is beautiful and diverse. More than a thousand islands and two hundred of them are inhabited. Somewhere a little more civilization, somewhere you can find budget hotels or meet the unique underwater inhabitants. But everywhere – endless opportunities for beach holidays, romance, relaxation and diving.
- South Male – close to the airport, budget holidays and proven hotels. It was here on Maafushi Island where the first foreign tourists vacationed. Now out of thirty islands atoll accommodated hotels on seventeen, so the choice – to any taste and color. Nearby – the marine reserves, including Embudu-Kandu, and if you want to personally meet a barracuda, gray shark or ray eagle – not far away is Guraidhoo Corner.
- North Male is very close to the airport, which sometimes gets in the way. The beaches are not everywhere as good as we used to imagine when talking about the Maldives, but the low cost of tours often overrides these little things. Here, too, about thirty islands, some of which are island-hotel. Very close to Male’, which is very appealing to those tourists who do not want to be limited to the infrastructure of the hotel. However, and North Male can offer recreation in the distance from civilization with crystal clear water and impeccable service – the prices, respectively, are higher.
- Ari – the most popular among tourists atoll. It consists of seventy islands, among which 28 are tourist and almost two dozen uninhabited and inhabited by local people. The most chic hotels, beautiful beaches and well-skilled staff are Ari. In short, the VIPs are here. Need I add that the most unusual restaurants and ideal conditions for sports activities are also in the Ari Islands?
- Laviani is waiting for you if you are looking for the most beautiful and atmospheric islands of the Maldives! The islands of this atoll are very small, but very picturesque – perfect for a secluded vacation surrounded by stunning views. This atoll is loved by romantic couples for the chance to be alone in the world, and for the stunning underwater world – divers. Everyone is welcome here, coming up with very original ways to surprise tourists – the luxury huts alone are worth it!
- Dhaalu consists of fifty islands, but those that captivate tourists are located in the northern part of the atoll. The main island – Kudahuwadu – has quite developed infrastructure, the others captivate guests with the stunning underwater world. There are many shipwrecks, reef sharks, and on Velavaru you can meet rare sea turtles. Fishing and windsurfing are also top-notch, and as a spectacular addition are the ruins of Buddhist temples and a mosque of carved coral.
- Raa is a wild tropic. It takes about forty minutes by air cab from Male to the most amazing place on earth. All around – the same screensaver from your laptop – palm trees, sun, white sand and azure sea. Bright colors to the already colorful landscape adds authenticity, still perfectly preserved in these places. Raa’s underwater world captivates even the most experienced divers.
Kuramathi Maldives 4*
Hotel villas are spread across the island of Kuramathi, which is just under 2 km long – and for the Maldives, that’s a lot. Exotic vegetation and sandy beaches are the perfect backdrop for any type of holiday – family, romantic or active. In fact, in the hotel any of them will pass on “excellent”. Children will love the warm sea, gentle approach and fine sand on the shore, romantic couples will enjoy solitude under the chirping of tropical birds and the sunset with a glass of wine on the edge of the ocean, and for fans of active recreation the word “Maldives” is as magical as diving, the possibilities for which here are limitless. Incidentally, the famous Hammerhead Shark Point is only a half-hour boat ride away.
In Kuramathi Maldives 360 rooms, which are in many categories. Among them are ocean view, hidden in the depths of the island, with a pool, and even villas on stilts with a two-level terrace with a Jacuzzi, which are located next to the reef.
The hotel operates a full-board and all-inclusive system. The island hotel has three restaurants and six bars, most of which are open until the last customer. Sports facilities include three communal pools and a tennis court. Young travelers have a fun time at the mini-club – in the morning they play sports and participate in creative workshops, and in the second half they enjoy various activities, such as a barbecue, botanical walk or a visit to the eco-center.
Cora Cora Maldives 5*.
A family vacation paradise at a very affordable price, especially considering we’re talking about a new luxury 5-star hotel in the Maldives! Cora Cora Maldives is located on the island of Maamigili in the Raa atoll and will not receive its first guests until the fall of 2021. It operates on a Premium All Inclusive system and offers vacationers really everything!
On the island at a distance from each other are about a hundred villas. Couples will feel comfortable here, as nothing will interfere with their tranquil rest and families, who have beautiful rooms, a wonderful beach and an excellent children’s infrastructure.
There are four restaurants, two bars, a yoga room, a water sports center and an open-air cinema. In addition, the island has a unique museum of art and culture of the Maldives, which presents more than 400 exhibits. An interesting point: the works of local artists are used in the decoration of the hotel rooms, they are designed to transmit the general mood of joy, which is supposed to reign on the island. Otherwise, the villas are fully up to modern standards. Some of them are located on the shore of the ocean, and some – directly over the water on stilts.
Baglioni Resort Maldives 5*
Corner of Italy in the Maldives – here is a union of the best of modern tourism. Cheerful Ferrari Trento and the signature Maldivian beaches, high-quality linen Frette and national motifs in the design of rooms.
Baglioni Resort Maldives is located on the island of Maagau atoll Dhaalu. Almost 90 villas are perfect for romantic couples, active travelers and families. Most of them are located on the shores of the Indian Ocean, and some – on the water – an ideal option for those who want to completely cut off from the rest of the world.
Kids will find a mini-club with an exciting program – from learning the traditional Maldivian dance boduberu and treasure hunt to seminars on the history and culture of the Maldives, sports fans – yoga, diving and tennis courts. Separate attention to its own 360-degree reef, however, nearby there are about two dozen other interesting places for divers.
And if you’re in the mood for entertainment, take a unique culinary course in Maldivian, Italian, Japanese, and Indian cuisine, or join an evening movie on the beach.
Heritance Aarah 5*.
Whoever said the Maldives is only for intimate, romantic vacations has never been to Heritance Aarah 5*! There’s plenty of entertainment, shows, sports and a terrific mini-club. And once a week you’ll hear the spectacular banging of Maldivian drums – all guests are invited to a nationally themed show!
The hotel opened in 2019 and offers a super modern luxury vacation concept. There are 124 classic beachfront villas, many with a pool, all with great views and a terrace. Among them are those that are completely hidden from prying eyes and guarantee complete privacy. In addition, the hotel has 26 chic overwater suites, which are sure to give you an unforgettable experience. With your own private terrace and direct access to the ocean, it’s a dream come true.
The variety of gastronomic offers is also impressive. French and Italian cuisine, seafood, Middle Eastern, modern Sri Lankan specialties and even the concept “urban street food of the five cities”. Five bars offer classic and signature mixes. The all-inclusive isn’t just about the food, though. There are also two free excursions to choose from and free massages at the Heritance Aarah Spa.
Meeru Island Resort & Spa 4*.
Meerufenfushi Island, North Male Atoll – The classic Maldives is ready to provide the best vacation of your life. The hotel occupies the entire island, which is 1200m long and 350m wide.
Meeru Island Resort & Spa has been receiving guests at the highest level for many years and has established itself as one of the best in the Maldives.
Restaurants and bars with an ocean view and amazing cuisine, national dance show Boduberu, broadcasting videos of divers’ dives, incendiary discos and karaoke parties. And then there’s the Maldives’ own museum of culture and history and a games room with foosball, mahjong and billiards.
If you prefer sports and recreational activities to the search for harmony, yoga classes are just what you need. Asanas, yoga-nidra and pranayama will be taught by a professional instructor. Asian massage techniques and relaxing spa procedures will help you to feel like a new person.
Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi 5*
A respectable holiday in one of the best Maldives islands! Cosy, spacious villas with terraces, private pools and beach access, and some with private access to the ocean. The three-bedroom villas are over a thousand square feet, with two pools and a private lounge – vacationing here, you can stay away from other people for weeks at a time! And it’s perfect for a honeymoon in the Maldives! Especially since the hotel also offers the opportunity to organize a direct wedding ceremony in this paradise place.
Six restaurants argue whose concept is more unique and whose cuisine is more delicious. GLOW offers dishes from products grown in the gardens of the island – “from garden to table”, THE ROCK – author’s menu based on wine regions of the world, an impressive wine cellar is also here. THE LEDGE is Australian barbecue cuisine. The bars are impressive as well, the menu and decor of each of them are thought out to the smallest detail.
If you’re going to the Maldives for the first time, be sure to keep a few things in mind so you don’t get stranded.
Best resorts in the Maldives
If anywhere on earth there is a paradise, it’s the Maldives, islands in the Indian Ocean. Luxurious vacation on white sand dunes, under sprawling palm trees, overlooking the azure sea surface – the dream of every traveler. The best resorts are located on uninhabited islands. Which one to choose is a question of your financial capabilities.
On the map of the world, the Maldives look like a chain of atolls stretching from north to south for 760 km. The islands are warm and sunny all year round. The reason for this is a lucky location near the equator.
Today, the Maldives is a tourist Mecca, which has everything for a beach holiday – a clear ocean, picturesque atolls, a pleasant climate, fresh fruit. The locals, like centuries ago, catch fish, grow bananas and coconuts, extract copra, and the best atolls have given to tourists.
How many islands are there in the Maldives? The small country consists of 26 atolls and 1196 large and small volcanic islets. The main city of the Maldives is the state capital Male. Its population is just over 60 thousand.
Since the Arabs came to the Maldives, Islam has become the main religion. How is it reflected in today’s tourists? Special bikini beaches are reserved for beach vacations. In public places, it is not recommended to be naked.
The central airport of the Maldives is located 2 km from the city of Male’. Upon arrival, tourists are met by representatives of the hotel and help get to the place of rest. There are two options – to go on a boat or take a seaplane. If you want to save money on ferrying, it is better to rest on nearby islands. There are large resorts with well-developed infrastructure, bars and restaurants are open 24 hours a day, there are regular ferries to the city of Male.
The map of the islands strikes the abundance of resorts, the names of which to the untrained tourist does not say anything. Which atoll to choose? We offer you a description of the most popular Maldives islands, the features of local recreation and approximate prices.
Search for last minute trips on the search engines Onlinetours and Travelata. With the help of these sites you can compare offers from more than 120 tour operators at a time . Read the secrets of finding the best bargains on tours.
How to choose
You need a map with the resorts in Russian to choose the right place to stay. Colorful pictures of paradisiacal places stir your imagination, popular resorts lay out descriptions of the best hotels.
At a glance at the Maldives, resorts seem similar to each other. Everywhere the eye pleases the whitest beaches with coconut palms, and soft turquoise water splashes just under the hotel window. It makes you want to just point your finger at the first island.
The prices are sobering. The cheapest tour to the Maldives will be much more expensive than a ticket to the same Thailand. How to make the dream come true and at the same time not to go broke? For a budget holiday choose islands-villages. It is inhabited by local residents, along with them you get access to cheap cafes and stores.
When they talk about an unforgettable vacation, they mean resorts. What is it? Imagine an isolated hotel-island, which maintains autonomous life support. It has its own electric generators, an installation for desalination of water. Guests live in villas or bungalows. The area has its own bikini beaches, cafes and restaurants, swimming pools, gyms.
Resorts focus on a particular contingent – families with children, young people, seniors, honeymooners. Depending on the “specialization” rest may be different in price and service.
Lovers of peace and solitude prefer uninhabited islands, where even the staff comes by boat. The client chooses the program “all inclusive” or restaurant meals.
The best islands in the Maldives have their own, “home” reef. Enough, wearing a mask, snorkel and flippers, dive into the water a few meters from the shore, and you will find yourself in a fantastic underwater kingdom.
The Maldives has some of the most beautiful atolls in the world. Each of them includes up to several dozen large and small islets. They are marked on the map. In order not to get confused by the names, first decide which atoll to go to. It is not superfluous to read reviews or to consult with predecessors:
- Ari, an atoll – The Maldives has given tourists 26 islands. North Ari is located closer to the airport. Suitable for diving, water skiing, windsurfing. For all the similarities, there are differences, because each island is memorable for its “highlight”.
- South Ari is a coral paradise with underwater caves popular with divers. In the marine reserves are preserved soft corals, free live turtles, stingrays and other wildlife. On the islands except bananas and coconuts grow the sweetest watermelons. For the newlyweds hold bright wedding ceremonies. – The main atoll on the archipelago. The capital and the main airport are situated here. It is possible quickly and inexpensively to get to a place of rest on a high-speed boat. The main activities – surfing, diving and just beach holidays. Especially since the weather is almost the same all year round. Map of the atolls combines North and South Male into one Kaafu – Atoll, but the contingent varies. choose for the quiet and solitude. Many rooms do not have TVs and Internet, and reviews assure that only here got the maximum relaxation. Divers gather here, couples in love, families with small children rest. The islands are surrounded by beautiful reefs, there is even a “children’s” reef, where an adult’s belt-deep water. – The atoll is protected by UNESCO. Here are the most prestigious hotels. It seems that besides the ocean and endless beaches in the world does not exist. The best atoll for the rest of wealthy tourists. The weather is consistently warm, nature is beautiful, and time seems to have stopped.
- Raa Atoll offers tourists just one island, but with a huge and very beautiful lagoon. A white sandy edge separates the boundless ocean from the dense green thickets. Hidden between the trees are bungalows. Artificial bridges connect the shore to the floating villas.
- Lavinani is an atoll with a long sand spit stretching far into the ocean. Diving enthusiasts watch the life of crabs, morays, stingrays, parrot fish. Nowhere else in the Indian Ocean is there such an abundance of seafood. The Maldives, the southernmost in the archipelago, is shaped like a giant horseshoe. In the center there is a luxurious lagoon with turquoise water. On the islands among the orange bushes, there are the remains of ancient temples. Local inhabitants live long and practically do not get sick.
- Daalu atoll – Maldives is developing tourism, but the local islets are little developed. But you’ll see the pristine nature, untouched by civilization. The surrounding area is beloved by giant sea turtles. – an atoll beloved by surfers. Strong winds bring high waves from the west. Surfers from all over the world come here. The distance from the airport is 400 km, it is more convenient to get there by seaplane. Atoll – the Maldives have created a new infrastructure on the islands. From water activities – diving, windsurfing. There is a bay for lovers of sailing and yachtsmen. Children are welcome in the water park and playgrounds.
What atoll to choose from such a variety? Focus on your wallet, but remember that the ocean, the beaches everywhere are equally beautiful and priceless.
Look for cheap airfare on the Aviasales and Skyscanner search engines. These services compare prices of all carriers. Learn the secrets of finding the best airfares.
Each resort offers a luxurious beach vacation – clean and calm ocean, fish swimming underfoot, always fresh seafood and fruit. And this despite the fact that there are also inexpensive options.
List of budget holiday destinations:
- Maldives, the relaxation on the island of Fehendu resembles a rustic vacation. Only instead of fields and vegetable gardens – azure bays and mangroves. – A great option for holidays with children. The island is like a botanical garden, where in addition to bananas and coconut palms grow strange flowers, rare birds fly, and on the beach you can feed the stingrays and even a small shark. – A large inexpensive island 28 km from Male, with a developed industrial sector and sports traditions. You can stay in a hotel for $100. Ideal conditions for surfing. – One of the most populated islands. The resort is famous for its blue lagoons with colorful fish, coral reefs, excellent conditions for diving. The airport is about 20 km away. Ferries depart from Male’ twice a day. For a modest fee, the natives will take you by boat to the nearby islands. You can not only cycle around their territory, but also ride to the store or party to other islands on paved highways. – means “long island,” with a gorgeous sand spit and a small village. There is no shade on the elongated beachfront; escape from the scorching rays can be found underwater. Favorite activity for tourists – snorkeling and diving along the home reef. built houses of local residents and hotels from $ 40 a day. A small spit at low tide connects the island to the neighboring resort (entrance $150). In summer, high waves rise, and the favorite pastime is surfing.
- Mātiveri – The island is a village, there are three beaches, one of them – a tourist beach, where you can sunbathe in a bikini. There are stingrays and small sharks. The island is inexpensive, but quite trashy. A trip to a nearby resort will cost $65 per person.
- Tinadu – according to reviews of tourists, the most beautiful island of Vaavu atoll, where there are 50 people. Much of it is jungle, through which there is a path to a bikini beach. There are two diving center and instructor, who speaks Russian. just 3 years ago became a tourist destination, built private guest houses, the guests have a separate bikini beach. Of activities – snorkeling, diving, windsurfing, trip to the atolls, feeding sharks. – A lively resort for active tourists. There is a golf course, badminton courts, cricket, tennis courts. Water activities for all tastes. Next to a lot of uninhabited islands.
Do not be afraid of getting bored on the “village island”. Transport links are well established, ferries, boats. Many islands are connected by highways. Organized excursions – dolphin cruises, trips to the island of turtles, Maldives are famous for its rich fauna and beautiful nature.
If you’re searching for a great hotel in the Maldives on Hotellook, the site compares prices from all different reservations systems (Booking, too) and finds the best one. Read our guide on how to find a good and inexpensive hotel on your own.
If you want to choose the right one, you can get the ratings, traveler reviews, and a map of the hotels, preferably in Russian.
The most popular resorts:
- Maafushi Island, Maldives – 30 km from the airport. Feedback – a popular, budget resort, hotels should be booked 2-3 months in advance, bikini beach fenced, plenty of sun beds, very clean. The best photos turn out at a nearby deserted beach for locals, but it’s better not to undress. Tours – from 102 000 rubles for two.
- Rasdu Island, Maldives – 58 km from Male, among the first resorts to accept independent tourists. Reviews – a lot of corals and marine life, ideal conditions for diving. Fishing and trips to neighboring islands are popular.
- Toddoo Island, Maldives – located 67 km from the airport. How to get there? Public ferries and boats run on a schedule. A map of the island will tell you which hotels are closest to the bikini beach. Reviews of tourists recommend a new beach near the pier. The place is very romantic. Right in the ocean there is a swing with a large inscription – Thoddoo, where you can take a colorful photo with a view of the ocean. Tours depend on the level of the hotel and food. A budget vacation will cost $650 without a flight.
- Island Ukulhas, Maldives – a fishing village 72 km from Male, with a beautiful lagoon and home reef. Tourist reviews besides the “sugar” beaches mention folklore festivals, free Saturday concerts, and wedding ceremonies. You can relax for $100/day.
- Vaadhu Island, Maldives – famous for its variety of coral reefs with underwater caves. A local feature – the glowing plankton. As darkness falls, guests leave the hotels and go to the beach, where the ocean lights up a myriad of blue lights. Prices for weekly tours with breakfast start from 78 700 rubles. Island, Maldives – 60 km from Male’, 250 inhabitants. There are beautiful reefs, snorkeling for beginners, a lot of wildlife. Built new guest houses, the price per night with breakfast and dinner – from 110 euros per person.
- Island Bandos, Maldives – only 10 minutes by boat, and you’re in Male. The whole area is covered with lush greenery, bungalows are hidden in the dense bushes. From the shore to the reef 40-60 meters. Diving on the tiny island of Kuda Bandos is available even to inexperienced tourists.
- Maldives, Sun Island is considered quite large. There are paved paths for walking, guests are given bicycles. The main hotel is Sun Island Resort, prices start at $120/day. Map of the island in addition to the beaches and hotel includes a farm where they grow their own fruit.
Best articles on the subject
The best time to travel to the Maldives is during the winter and spring months. Summer is considered the low season and prices go down. The weather stays warm, brief rains occur, but nature remains beautiful at any time of year.